Sunday, November 15, 2015

Living in El Salvador has affected the way I learn of international tragedies.   We only have wifi a few times a week so I was extremely confused when I got on the internet this morning to see hundreds of posts and news articles about the attacks in Paris.  So this afternoon, I spent a lot of time searching for information on what exactly occurred.  As my knowledge on the tragedy increased, so did the heaviness in my heart.  

I watched videos of people screaming and running from the concert hall.  I listened to the testimonies of victims.  And I read news articles describing the attacks in detail.  I'm aching for the people of Paris and my spirit cries out for justice.  

Oh People of God, get on your faces.   Pray that the Lord works in this tragedy.  Pray that Jesus gives us His heart, so that we can appropriately respond to these terrorists.  Because in all honesty, I'm angry and I feel that if anyone is deserving of Hell, it's people such as these.  But then the Lord reminds me that I was just as deserving as them.  I was a sinner in need of a savior just like them.  And it's only by God's grace that I have been saved.  

Pray that people turn to Jesus during this catastrophe.  People are confused and scared.  All around the world, people have been reminded of their mortality.  Pray that the Lord stirs questions in their hearts and that Christians everywhere are boldly proclaiming the gospel. 

And my brothers and sisters in Christ, remember who our God is...

God is so much mightier than any terrorist group:
"God shall arise, his enemies shall be scattered; and those who hate him shall flee before him!"
-Psalms 68:1

God is our fortress:
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea."
-Psalms 46:1-2

God is trustworthy:
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."
-Psalms 20:7

God loves justice:
"Leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repays, says the Lord.'"
-Romans 12:19

God desires that EVERYONE comes to know Him: 
"This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 
-1 Timothy 2:3-4

I'm aware that I am young and the last person qualified on how to respond to such a tragedy, but these words that I have written are not from my heart.  They come solely from the Word of God.  Trust me, if you were to read about MY opinions and feelings about these attacks, it would be much different.  Friends, run to Jesus. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Emily, your thoughts are inspiring and as always Christ centered. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete